PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Motors

Mudpuppy
02-11-2010, 11:40 AM
We are working with this company as a turnkey supplier to set up their manufacturing equipment both for assembly and end of line. This morning they gave us a presentation on their product. Very brilliant idea. A Police Car actually designed for Police use - not just a normal car that is pieced together, not very efficient and then used as a Police Car. The two features I found extremely interesting, besides the puke proof back seat, are they stole Super's idea for cutting out a hole in the bumper with a hole saw and mounting an infrared camera for night use in addition to the standard camera mounted on the rear view mirror stalk and the license plate recognition devices built into the lower front fascia that can read and identify up to 1,200 license plates a minute or something crazy like that - can't remember if it is 1,200 or 1,500 a minute or so many seconds - regardless its mind boggling:

http://www.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/police-car-carbon-motors.jpg

Specifications
OEM Carbon Motors Corporation
Vehicle Platform Codename E7
Brand Carbon Motors™
Nameplate To Be Determined
Assembly Location Connersville, Indiana
The Police Car Capital of the World
Price Comparable to Retail Passenger Car Outfitted with Law Enforcement Equipment. Detailed pricing will be announced in a few months.

POWERTRAIN / CHASSIS

Engine Forced Induction Diesel
Recommended Fuel Ultra-low sulfur (ULS) Diesel
Driveline Rear-Wheel-Drive
Horsepower > 250 bhp
Torque > 400 lb-ft
Transmission Multi-Speed Automatic
Front Brakes 14" Vented Discs, ABS
Rear Brakes 13" Vented Discs, ABS
Wheels 19 x 8" Steel
Tires 245/55R19
Front Suspension Struts, coil springs, anti-roll bar
Rear Suspension Multi-link, coil springs, self-leveling shocks, anti-roll bar

DIMENSIONS

Wheelbase 122.0"
Front Track 66.9"
Rear Track 66.9"
Overall Length 200.0"
Overall Width 78.0"
Overall Height 64.2"
Ground Clearance 7.0"
Curb Weight 4000 lbs
Weight Distribution (front/rear) 50% / 50%
Front Headroom 40.0"
Rear Headroom 38.5"
Front Legroom 45.0"
Cargo Volume 20.0 cu ft
Fuel Capacity 18.0 gallons

PERFORMANCE

0 - 60 mph 6.5 seconds
Quarter Mile 14.5 seconds @ 98.0 mph
Top Speed > 150 mph
Braking 60 - 0 mph 125 feet
Lateral Acceleration 0.85 g
Combined City/Hwy Fuel Economy 28 - 30 mpg

SELECTED FEATURES AND OPTIONS

All-new purpose-built vehicle platform exclusively for law enforcement
•Meets or exceeds all regulatory requirements
•Designed to 250,000 mile durability specification
•Turn-key built-to-direct-order - 24/7/365 call center support
•Turn-key end-of-vehicle-life process
•Comprehensive warranty
•Aluminum spaceframe body structure
•75 mph rear impact crash capability
•Cockpit with fully-integrated factory fitted law enforcement equipment
•Integrated emergency lights, spot lights, take down lights, and directional stick
•Segment exclusive coach rear doors for safer suspect ingress and egress
•Vehicle dynamic control
•Anti-lock brakes
•Optimized approach / departure angles and ground clearance
•NIJ Level III-A (or better) ballistic protection (front doors and dash panel)
•Purpose-designed seat for use with on-body equipment - Heated and ventilated seats
•Heads up display
•Reverse backup camera
•Remote start capability
•Driver specific intelligent key
•360 degree exterior surveillance capability
•Automatic license plate recognition system
•Video and audio surveillance of rear passenger compartment
•130hz - 350hz bass siren
•Nightvision compliant interior illumination
•Integrated forward looking infrared system (FLIR)
•Integrated shotgun mounts
•Optimized storage capability (compartment and cargo)
•Integrated front and rear passenger compartment partition
•Hoseable rear passenger compartment
•Integrated push bumpers and PIT capability

http://www.carbonmotors.com/

Gas Man
02-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Um... NO! I don't need them any better!!

Bob
02-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I been following that for a while now. Not sure if they'll catch on or not. I have a feeling they won;t catch on with many departments.

RoadZombie
02-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Who makes the engine? As much as I am not a huge fan of law enforcement, if they're building 'em with Cummins engines in 'em, count me in as a supporter. All about putting food on the table. ;-) >250HP would definitely be in the realm of an ISB series engine...or even the Dodge Ram version of it.

Mudpuppy
02-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Not sure who makes the engine but I know they are building them at the old Ford Connersville, IN plant that shut down in 2002 and they are gutting to put in our equipment.. funny thing was they are gutting our old equipment to put in our new equipment..

I think they are a little high on the pricing.. the website says tbd but the rep told me about $50k and their goal is 50,000 of the 75,000 police vehicles sold a year.. lofty goals.. currently they buy the crown vic for $17,750 as a police package.. if you take $17,750 x 75,000 you get $1.31b - so round up to $1.5b a year budget for extras, suvs, undercover cars, etc. If you take 50,000 x $50k you are at $2.5b and you still need to buy another 25,000 units.

Of course the crown vic who currently holds 70% of the market is being phased out in 2012 and Ford is introducing a police package for the new Taurus but at about double the price - I assume $35-40k. So if this Carbon Motors can get in that range that might have a shot.

They actually have a $20k option of a weapons of mass destruction detector. Would be primarily used by federal agencies. It scans buildings and immediate area to detect wmds. Interesting.

Its a great concept and its very suited for the purpose. Just not sure it will fall in the budget.

I think Ford should make a police package for the Raptor.

RoadZombie
02-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Yeah, checked out the website and I caught a bit where it referenced a twin-turbo setup...not a Cummins. Not really a viable option to be honest. Cat is out of the truck market due to issues with twin-turboing to meet emission standards (among other failed "revolutionary measures"). The real kicker is that they could have really boosted the state/local economy. The Cummins factory that produces the ISB engine (and possibly the "Cummins Turbo Diesel" Dodge variant) are made in Columbus, IN and I believe that Cat is also based in Indiana too. Not sure if their engine plant is or not though. It'll be interesting to see if it takes off. They're pretty badass looking police cruisers regardless.

telecast
02-12-2010, 07:31 AM
It's not just the street price around here. Just about every community with an auto plant gets PD vehicles at a much lower price. My community has a Ford plant and they get deals from Ford. I remember when Dearborn PD used Lincolns because Ford gave them as freebies. They might do ok in a community with no 'in' for special pricing, but places with plants will continue to get better pricing from the manufacturers. Granted, that's still a huge share of the market.

The other thing I'd be leary of as a community is the support network. When it breaks, who fixes it?

Bob
02-12-2010, 07:07 PM
It's not just the street price around here. Just about every community with an auto plant gets PD vehicles at a much lower price. My community has a Ford plant and they get deals from Ford. I remember when Dearborn PD used Lincolns because Ford gave them as freebies. They might do ok in a community with no 'in' for special pricing, but places with plants will continue to get better pricing from the manufacturers. Granted, that's still a huge share of the market.

The other thing I'd be leary of as a community is the support network. When it breaks, who fixes it?

That's what I was thinking. Our police cars get fixed by our mechanics and when the cop car is retired it gets handed down to other departments. I drive a Police Interceptor at work with all of the police stuff ripped out. They rip it out and use it in the new cars usually. I doubt they could do that with the Carbon Motors car. What would they do with them after they are doing being in service? With CM have dealers around so that they can be taken in for work and have parts easily available? And will they train the departments that work on their own cars to work on the e7?

Mudpuppy
02-13-2010, 11:14 PM
All good points.. There have been a lot of pretenders trying to capture a little bit of this $1.5b pie.. they have all failed..

Like you said plants will give out free cars and why not - its advertising.. hey if the crown vic or taurus is good enough for the cops to drive maybe i should drive one.. whatever - it gets their name and product out there..

very good point about their service - not sure about that.. service and parts could be an issue to set up a network making it a hassle free process with no down time.. it would take a significant investment just to get that up and running..

as far as what they will do with them when they are done - they will be refurbed or recycled - 100% of the car is recyclable.. the body panels are some kind of plastic and are not painted - they roll on the outer finish like a sticker that wraps the body.. but if they scrap the car they will grind and/or melt the body panels to be used in a future car.. but no one outside of law enforcement can or will ever drive one of these cars (without stealing it and that's probably a real bad idea)..

i think this is a great idea and would be a very useful and efficient police car.. i just don't think it will ever happen - seems like a pipe dream to me for a lot of reasons..

Bob
02-14-2010, 08:28 AM
All good points.. There have been a lot of pretenders trying to capture a little bit of this $1.5b pie.. they have all failed..

Like you said plants will give out free cars and why not - its advertising.. hey if the crown vic or taurus is good enough for the cops to drive maybe i should drive one.. whatever - it gets their name and product out there..

very good point about their service - not sure about that.. service and parts could be an issue to set up a network making it a hassle free process with no down time.. it would take a significant investment just to get that up and running..

as far as what they will do with them when they are done - they will be refurbed or recycled - 100% of the car is recyclable.. the body panels are some kind of plastic and are not painted - they roll on the outer finish like a sticker that wraps the body.. but if they scrap the car they will grind and/or melt the body panels to be used in a future car.. but no one outside of law enforcement can or will ever drive one of these cars (without stealing it and that's probably a real bad idea)..

i think this is a great idea and would be a very useful and efficient police car.. i just don't think it will ever happen - seems like a pipe dream to me for a lot of reasons..

Who recycles the car though? I could see most agencies wanting to sell or auction off what they don't use. A lot of our wrecked and out of service PI's go to our yard where they strip them for parts on running cars as needed. I just don't see an agency wanting to take the car and recycle it. Can they be sold to the general public do you know?

Mudpuppy
02-14-2010, 10:31 PM
No they cannot be sold to the general public and only law enforcement can drive them.. carbon motors would recycle them..