PDA

View Full Version : Fuel stabilizer my ass

telecast
02-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I pulled the snowblower out last night to see if it would start. The last time I used it was January '09. All the big snow came early last year and what we got later wasn't worth getting it out. I shut it off and left it, then when the weather warmed it got shoved into it's corner and ignored. It had over a half tank of gas.

Last night I topped off the tank, pushed the primer several times until it stopped gurgling, and pulled. She fired up on the second pull. Runs like a champ.

This is the same thing I do with my lawnmower every year. When I was younger I never added anything to my bikes before winter. So, is it all a bunch off bullshit marketing hype? I remember one time having problems with a gummed up carb, and that was the one year I added Stabil before storing it.

I'm wondering if with all the stuff they put in gas these days you just don't need stabilizer, and putting the bike away for a few months ain't shit.

Mudpuppy
02-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Back away from the Stabil - stuff is garbage - might as well pour water in the tank to help store the fuel..

Seafoam is the only way to go..

http://www.threefattigers.com/Protocore/Volvo/SeaFoam.jpg

telecast
02-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Which is what I use now.

But that doesn't address my question. Please feel free to postulate....

RoadZombie
02-09-2010, 02:14 PM
The four carbs that I am currently rebuilding are a testament that, yes...you should use some sort of fuel stabilizer. Lawn mower engine carbs aren't quite as complex as motorcycle carbs. SeaFoam is wonderful stuff anyways...no reason not to use it. ;-)

telecast
02-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Lawn mower engine carbs aren't quite as complex as motorcycle carbs.

Too true, but in my previous life I never used any stablizer on my Yamahas/Hondas/Kaws, or for that matter my snow sleds.

Except for the one time I mentioned that resulted in gunk.

Mudpuppy
02-09-2010, 03:30 PM
No reason to postulate, speculate or prognosticate.. just use sea foam..

telecast
02-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Not very verbose today are we?

I'm still expecting a diatribe from Gas Man...

Mudpuppy
02-09-2010, 04:59 PM
yes good call - that is his area.. he is probably servicing old dudes at the bath house right now and can't respond.. he's chewing on a salty cracker..

RoadZombie
02-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Well, a couple/few months over winter probably isn't that big of a deal. I want to say I've heard 6 months+ is where it starts getting dicey. I used Sta-Bil in the Harley this winter and am kicking myself for it...forgot to pick up SeaFoam before taking the bike up to my Mom's...the nearest parts store is 20+ miles away, but there was Sta-Bil in her garage. IMO, it's probably more important to top off your gas tank before storing than using a fuel additive...LOT less likely to get rust with a full tank of gas ;-)

All I know is come springtime, I'll be burning out that tank full of Sta-Bil'ed gas ASAP. Next tankful will be Sunoco Ultra 94 and a 1/4 can of SeaFoam.

Mudpuppy
02-09-2010, 06:02 PM
oh no kemosabe - i drain the fuck out of the tank - as little fuel as possible over winter (with seafoam in it of course).. then come spring i put a fresh tank of gas in it.. less fuel to worry about "aging" - which happens to be good for wine and whiskey not so much for gasoline..

Bob
02-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Did you add new gas to the old?

My bike gummed up 2 years ago and it sucked. This year I ran sea Foam through it. I've also used Stabil in the past with worse luck than running nothing at all.

RedneckMedic
02-09-2010, 07:49 PM
this is my first winter with the bike and i used seafoam and hope it works. i tried starting it last week after a put the pipes on and it didnt happen and just thought it was the cold so i didnt try very hard then i remembered i shut the fuel off and didnt turn it back on when trying to start lol.

Bob
02-09-2010, 09:00 PM
I added Sea Foam to my snow blower last night and it ran so much smoother today. I love the stuff.

RoadZombie
02-09-2010, 09:05 PM
oh no kemosabe - i drain the fuck out of the tank - as little fuel as possible over winter (with seafoam in it of course).. then come spring i put a fresh tank of gas in it.. less fuel to worry about "aging" - which happens to be good for wine and whiskey not so much for gasoline..

At 3-4 months, aging really isn't a concern. Plus, with some SeaFoam in the tank...even less of a concern. Worst case scenario, a carb rebuild is in order. Rusty tank? ...Kreem is a pain in the ass.

Gas Man
02-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Not very verbose today are we?

I'm still expecting a diatribe from Gas Man...

Hmmm

yes good call - that is his area.. he is probably servicing old dudes at the bath house right now and can't respond.. he's chewing on a salty cracker..

Could be true

Well, a couple/few months over winter probably isn't that big of a deal. I want to say I've heard 6 months+ is where it starts getting dicey. I used Sta-Bil in the Harley this winter and am kicking myself for it...forgot to pick up SeaFoam before taking the bike up to my Mom's...the nearest parts store is 20+ miles away, but there was Sta-Bil in her garage. IMO, it's probably more important to top off your gas tank before storing than using a fuel additive...LOT less likely to get rust with a full tank of gas ;-)

All I know is come springtime, I'll be burning out that tank full of Sta-Bil'ed gas ASAP. Next tankful will be Sunoco Ultra 94 and a 1/4 can of SeaFoam.

Amen on the full tank for no rust.

I added Sea Foam to my snow blower last night and it ran so much smoother today. I love the stuff.

Yep!!

Mudpuppy
02-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Fresh gas and sea foam is the shit.. I have NEVER had rust issues in any gas tank of a car, motorcycle, lawn mower, snowblower, weed whipper or anything related by draining it down to minimum level with sea foam.. i have had issues with having a full tank of old gas and the car, bike or lawnmower, etc. running rough as shit because the gas is no good..

so excuse me while i huff some fresh gas and drink some sea foam..

RoadZombie
02-10-2010, 05:51 PM
LoL I've never had a rust issue either. But I prefer to not tempt fate. To each his own. The Harley is fuel injected and most likely would run on wino urine. Aged gas really doesn't concern me too much. Even if it does run like shit, itd only be for about the first 150-175 miles of the season. Fresh tank of gas and more SeaFoam for the muthanuckin' win!

RoadZombie
02-10-2010, 05:54 PM

I should give that a shot. Mine already seems to run smoother since I started using LawnBoy 2 cycle oil instead of the cheap knock-off crap I had. Throw some SeaFoam in the mix and it'll run like a dirtbike on crack!

Mudpuppy
02-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Yeah but my first 100 miles of the season is on the track so I am not looking for decreased performance..

seatmaker
02-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I never use anything, used Stabil in the mower once, wouldn't start so I threw it in the fire, wouldn't burn

RoadZombie
02-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Yeah but my first 100 miles of the season is on the track so I am not looking for decreased performance..

True enough! Different strokes for different folks.

Gas Man
02-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Been preachin it for some decent amount of time.

http://www.2wheelmichigan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707

Bob
02-10-2010, 09:34 PM
I should give that a shot. Mine already seems to run smoother since I started using LawnBoy 2 cycle oil instead of the cheap knock-off crap I had. Throw some SeaFoam in the mix and it'll run like a dirtbike on crack!

I have cheap oil in it now. I just mixed 2 more gallons for when I run out and used some Quaker State 2 cycle oil I had. Hopefully that helps too. The other oil burns and smells so nasty.

RoadZombie
02-11-2010, 12:20 AM
I have cheap oil in it now. I just mixed 2 more gallons for when I run out and used some Quaker State 2 cycle oil I had. Hopefully that helps too. The other oil burns and smells so nasty.

Now that you mention it, my coat doesn't reek like an old boat motor anymore either. Double score for decent 2 cycle oil.

Oh, I agree Gas. SeaFoam is tits. If the carbs on the Ninja weren't so jacked, I probably would have just filled the carb bowls with it and let 'em soak before running 1/2 a can in a tank of gas. Love the stuff!

Bob
02-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Now that you mention it, my coat doesn't reek like an old boat motor anymore either. Double score for decent 2 cycle oil.

Oh, I agree Gas. SeaFoam is tits. If the carbs on the Ninja weren't so jacked, I probably would have just filled the carb bowls with it and let 'em soak before running 1/2 a can in a tank of gas. Love the stuff!

I hope the QS cures that as well! I start the snow blower for 2 minutes and my clothes reek. I blew the snow and went to work right after the other day and I wish I'd of changed first. LOL

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/t9yBn_zps662845b6.jpg

RedneckMedic
02-11-2010, 10:44 PM
yep that smell sucks when i used to do landscaping thats all i could smell was gas on my clothes

RoadZombie
02-11-2010, 11:28 PM
yep that smell sucks when i used to do landscaping thats all i could smell was gas on my clothes

Now ya have me curious if my weed wacker is going to smell less too. LoL Had the same crappy 2-cycle mix in that too. If it's easier starting too, that would be a godsend. Think my arm damn near fell off a couple times last summer from pull starting the sucker.

telecast
02-12-2010, 08:35 AM
I've used the concentrate in the tube with good results. No smell, and no mixing different ratios. One tube per gallon and it works with every mix. It's a bit more expensive but it seems to work well.