PDA

View Full Version : Me too!

RoadZombie
02-06-2010, 02:42 PM
So I finally picked up the Ninja yesterday and will begin to get her back to "road worthy". At this point, all that really entails is a new battery and a fresh set of tires (that were included with the bike...score!). The PO stated that he seemed to be having issues with the carbs as well...so we'll see what that is going to involve. Hoping I can drain the tank (no visable rust surprisingly!), replace the supply hosing, and run some SeaFoam through her.

Aside from that, it's just a matter of cosmetics...the front fairings are pretty trashed. I'm hoping to either A) Modify/cut the existing fairings to remove the damaged areas, or B) Completely remove the front fairings, pick up a new headlight, modify the fairing stay/instrument bracket, and install a cafe fairing. We shall see!

Pics to follow!:weld:

Gas Man
02-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Great! Just be sure to take pics. Otherwise we will have to punish you.

RoadZombie
02-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Well, didn't get to pics today. I did get the battery in and a gallon of gas. Add in a little starting fluid and *poof!* she came to life...breifly. It's going to be a "carb case"...along with a fuel petcock rebuild...damned vaccum operated POSes. Satisfied after it fired up, I was getting ready to close up shop and noticed dripping. First thought was a hole in the tank until I noticed it was coming from the air box. Sticky floats...yay! Pulled the tank, just to be sure...dripping out the petcock w/ no vaccum. Luckily, I also discovered why it was acting like "it wasn't getting enough fuel"...there's no damned air cleaner. *shakes head* People with a "little mechanical knowledge" make life fun.

Bob
02-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Where did you get the bike from? Did you just buy it or have you had it? What year and model Ninja?

Gas Man
02-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Yeah... WTF

RoadZombie
02-07-2010, 02:17 AM
Picked it up as a project off Craigslist. Needed a hobby between now and riding season ;-) Its an 89 ZX750F...or GPX750 internationally. Previous owner supposedly had it running last year, but I'm a bit more than skeptical. When I drained the remaining gas out of the tank...it looked substantially older than 6 months-1 year old. Story has it that the guy that had it previous to the guy I bought it off of laid it over in his driveway (<5MPH)...got spooked...stuffed it under a lean-to for years. The guy I got it off of supposedly got it running but was having carb problems...ended up getting a newer bike and just shoved it into the back corner of his garage. Once I got it fired up on starting fluid, it seemed to run DAMN strong. Hell, only has 17k on the clock. Figure I'll get it running...possibly replace some of the damaged body work and sell it later in the season for a profit. Or just hold on to it as a toy...have the best of both worlds ;-)

RoadZombie
02-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Welp, I fully intended to take pictures today, but when I turned on the camera...dead batteries. BAH! Was pretty much the over-all mood for the day. Ha! Decided to pull the carbs...what a friggen nightmare! After a good 45 minutes trying to wrestle the damned things out, I decided that I no longer needed the air box and went after it with a hammer like it owed me money. ;-) Carbs came out REAL easy after that! Once I got them out, I checked the slides...they all worked, but 1 of them was missing a needle. Upon further disassembly I found that the keeper on the other end is missing which allowed the needle to push out...hope they have these at the dealer. Upon pulling the bowls, it also became apparent that the carbs were never re-jetted for the Yoshi pipe...guess smashing the airbox out wasn't going to really cause any more work for me after all. Other than that, I had 2 stuck float needles and a whoooooole lotta varnish. Now I get to sit back and wait for parts. ...and charge my camera batteries ;-)

Bob
02-07-2010, 07:36 PM
I just took pictures of my bike and boom, dead batteries as well. As soon as they charge I plan on having them up.

RoadZombie
02-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm hoping mine take a charge. I didn't think I really used them since I charged them last. *Shrug* We shall see!

RedneckMedic
02-08-2010, 12:03 AM
good luck on the plastics... i hate bidding on items on ebay i usually dont buy unless there is a "BIN" option but the suspense is fun to and you can get killer deals

RoadZombie
02-08-2010, 01:00 AM
Not too dead set on the plastics actually. If I don't win on 'em, I'll just go "streetfighter" with it. So far, I'm the only bidder so we'll see. Auction ends in about 24 hours. ;-)

Gas Man
02-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Not being able to get carbs out of the bikes cause the air box is in the way. YEP! Welcome to working on jap bikes!!!

RoadZombie
02-08-2010, 04:12 PM
LoL The Virago I had didn't have that problem...instead, they shoved 2 carbs between the jugs in an opposed arrangement. Once you got the hang of the "twist and pop" it wasn't TOO bad. Still a pain in the ass. With it being a V-twin Harley copy, you'd think they would have copied HD's "1 big carb w/ a manifold instead of two small carbs crammed in unnessacerily" method. But noooooo.

With the airbox out of the way and just pod filters, I'm willing to bet I'll be able to pull 4 carbs quicker than most guys can pull 1 off a Harley though ;-) 4 clamps and done!

Bob
02-08-2010, 09:26 PM
LoL The Virago I had didn't have that problem...instead, they shoved 2 carbs between the jugs in an opposed arrangement. Once you got the hang of the "twist and pop" it wasn't TOO bad. Still a pain in the ass. With it being a V-twin Harley copy, you'd think they would have copied HD's "1 big carb w/ a manifold instead of two small carbs crammed in unnessacerily" method. But noooooo.

With the airbox out of the way and just pod filters, I'm willing to bet I'll be able to pull 4 carbs quicker than most guys can pull 1 off a Harley though ;-) 4 clamps and done!

Yeah, for some reason people think it's harder to work on Jap bikes and cars. My Jap bikes, my Honda Civics and my Subaru's where always the easiest things to work on. I need like 20 wrenches to work on my Ford but only ever needed like 3 to totally strip down my Hondas. lmao ;) I find the same for my bikes.

Gas Man
02-08-2010, 10:59 PM

Or hell even 2 carbs on the outside... many have done it

http://www.cyclexchange.net/index%20pics/shx%201.JPG

http://store.edelbrock.com/images/products/detail/CarbDualKit.9.jpg

RoadZombie
02-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Still prefer just 1 carb...no balancing. ;-)

Quick update while waiting on parts. Petcock rebuild kit came today and hoping the needle retainer will be in tomorrow. I did win the body panels. So waiting on those too. Gotta love the "wait".

Bob
02-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Congrats on the auction man!

Where did you get the petcock kit from? I remember when I needed one for my Vulcan I had a hard time finding one and when I finally did it was just cheaper to get a whole new petcock.

RoadZombie
02-12-2010, 12:42 AM
BikeBandit. I didn't really even look into a new petcock, but the kit was only $30. I'm guessing a new one would have been at LEAST $100. Just the little plastic needle valve holder was $17 through both BikeBandit and the local dealer. Yeah, spent more on the bodywork than I wanted, but when it came down to it...it's worth it. Aside from the jet kit and conical filters, only other things I need is a new windscreen and a fastener kit for the windscreen and fairings. It really came together quicker and easier than I expected thus far.

RedneckMedic
02-12-2010, 12:48 AM
http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/attachments/razors/28705d1249474228-my-new-straight-razor-stand-44789.-thread-completely-useless-without-images-1-.jpg

Gas Man
02-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I have never agreed with rugby more than on the idea... we need pics holmes!

Thruxtonbill
02-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Yep pics or it ever happened.

RoadZombie
02-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Will do either tonight or tomorrow. Really haven't done anything with it this past week...except manuver the snowblower out around it. LoL 1st day this week where I can just go home and relax/tinker after work and not have something pressing to do or somewhere I need to go.

RoadZombie
02-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Finally was able to shoot a few.

First, a few general shots:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/100_1856.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/100_1854.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/100_1848.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/100_1853.jpg

Nice "bonus" that came with the bike:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/100_1855.jpg

Some of the body damage:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/100_1846.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/100_1845.jpg
The hose is the coolant overflow vent. I took out all the "smog equiptment" and that was part of it. *shrug*

Gee...wonder why the bike didn't run right...:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/100_1851.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/100_1852.jpg

Petcock taken apart and cleaned...ready for rebuild:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/100_1857.jpg

I'll try to get more up as I go along! :weld:

RedneckMedic
02-13-2010, 12:39 AM
at least you delivered nice find and looks like a fun project

Gas Man
02-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Yeah she's a bit ruff

RoadZombie
02-13-2010, 11:32 AM
For $750 and the fact that aside from the carb issues, she runs. Can't complain too much. Looks a bit better with all the panels and tank in place too. LoL Once the new body panels and come in and it gets a bath, that'll help too. As she stands, she's a 20-footer. LoL

Thruxtonbill
02-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Once the carb issues are sorted out, tidy it up, get the bodywork on( I would have gone streetfighter JMO) It will be a fun little bike to have, nice job.

RoadZombie
02-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I actually considered going streetfighter with it, but got a good deal on replacement bodywork. If/when I decide to sell it, I'll get more out of a "clean original" than a streetfighter. I'm actually looking to get it sorted, and then sell it maybe 1/2 way thru the season and keep the money until around this time next year to add to my income tax return. I'd really like to pick up an SV or something similar.

RoadZombie
02-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Welp, after 2 days of playing with the carbs...she runs more than just on idle and with the choke on! Still definitely needs the jet kit installed (anything off the pilot jet is a bit "iffy"), which should be here Wednesday. I also need to "tweek" the fuel delivery a bit...the fuel hose and the vaccum line feeding the petcock keep kinking, but I was able (with the assistance of the choke...would bog when the mains kicked in) to take about a 1 mile ride around my neighborhood. Completely different ride than the Harley or any other cruiser I've owned. Definitely impressed! I also got the replacement panels mounted back on...she's definitely a sharp looking bike! I was going to try and shoot a video, but forgot the SD card in the house and just didn't feel like heading back in to grab it...Maybe tomorrow. ;-) Oh! And that Yoshi pipe...sounds MEAN as hell. Love it! Right now, I reek like exhaust and I'm hungry...off to wrestle up some dinner!

Bob
02-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Looking good man. Glad you got the bike running a little better.

Gas Man
02-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Good deal man. good job!

RoadZombie
02-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Welp, promised a video...here it is!:

QO3D-B52hnw

RedneckMedic
02-21-2010, 06:49 PM
very nice!!

RoadZombie
02-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Look what the mail lady brought me today!:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/89%20Ninja%20750R%20Project/100_1868.jpg

Just waiting on the O-rings for my pilot needles and I can wrap up the "heavy lifting" part of the project and just focus on the "finishing touches". Basically replacing the tires (BTW, if anyone knows a good, cheap place to get tires mounted and balanced...I'm all ears :D ) and wrapping up the bodywork and electrical at this point. After that, a good cleaning is in order. Not too bad for a winter project on a whim and limited budget!

Oh! And FYI, cheapcycleparts.com lives up to their name. They are VERY reasonable on the price of OEM parts. However, they have been one of the slowest vendors in terms of shipping that I've dealt with. Not excessive by any means, but they are quite a bit slower than say BikeBandit. BUT, the cost savings more than make up for it.

RedneckMedic
02-27-2010, 07:24 PM
look up top and use the search button for tire prices there was a couple page thread on here one day about it

RoadZombie
03-01-2010, 10:43 PM
O-rings came in today so I rejetted the carbs and "re-O ringed" the idle mixture screws...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DOGGY!! Starts right up, and once the gas worked into all the passages...she's MEAN now. Even shoots 3 foot flames out the pipe if she's coaxed. ;-) Getting so close to actually riding now, I can damn near taste it!

RoadZombie
03-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Welp, all put back together and started to do some cleaning. Thorough cleaning has to wait until its a little warmer...my garden hose is frozen stiff ;-) All in all, not too shabby for about a $1000 total investment. She's definitely "fun"....like "Oh...60? Already? I'm only in 2nd and not really twisting the throttle too hard...Oops!" - fun. It won't be until at least Wednesday before I can get a plate...damn SoS! Here's the "after" shots:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/89%20Ninja%20750R%20Project/100_1872.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/89%20Ninja%20750R%20Project/100_1871.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/89%20Ninja%20750R%20Project/100_1870.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/garrethwolfe/89%20Ninja%20750R%20Project/100_1869.jpg

telecast
03-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Looks great!

Thruxtonbill
03-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Nice job RZ, Have you decided on tires yet? Looks like the chain and rear sprocket are OEM, how do they look? All in all I'd say you have nice bike there for the money spent. Congrats.

RoadZombie
03-06-2010, 09:19 PM
I got a brand-new set of Pirelli Sport Demons that came with the bike when I bought it, so that's what's going on. The chain and sprocket are in "OK" condition. If I hold onto the bike, I'll replace 'em...if I sell it, the next guy can do it. Once the tires have been fit, it'll be 100% ready to ride...if all the next guy has to do is replace the rear sprocket and chain "down the road"...he's still getting a hell of a bike and deal.

Gas Man
03-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Yeah the chain looks rusty... could just be the pic.

RoadZombie
03-07-2010, 02:49 AM
It does have some light surface rust on it. Kerosene, a toothbrush, and some chain lube should clear it up. I miss my belt. LoL

Gas Man
03-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Oh yeah...

Belts FTW

Mudpuppy
03-08-2010, 12:07 AM
belts are for pants

chain are for bikes

RoadZombie
03-08-2010, 12:38 AM
...but I have a chain belt for my pants. I'm so confused...LoL

Mudpuppy
03-08-2010, 11:01 AM
oh do you have one of those chain wallets? i hear they are on sale at walmart..

RoadZombie
03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I have one of those too...NOT from WalMart. Mine is actual cow leather, not synthetic or made from horses. Saved my ass a couple times. But no, I have a belt that is made out of chromed chain...somewhere around the house. Haven't worn it since HS.

telecast
03-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Seems like I'm constantly reaching back to make sure my wallet is still there. If I could find a nice, standard sized wallet with a chain that I could put on when I wanted to, I'd buy it. I won't wear one every day, don't want a big ole' truckers wallet, and don't want to change wallets when I go for a ride.

Mudpuppy
03-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Walmart is part of the new world order.. they are in on bilderberger, etc. they will sell your information like a whore and when the great culling comes bye bye motherfucker - walmart nation gone.. 500 million left standing.. and you and i won't be one of them.. 12/21/2012-12/23/2012 - mark your calendars..

telecast
03-08-2010, 06:15 PM
What in the HELL are you talking about? You lost me.

RoadZombie
03-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Seems like I'm constantly reaching back to make sure my wallet is still there. If I could find a nice, standard sized wallet with a chain that I could put on when I wanted to, I'd buy it. I won't wear one every day, don't want a big ole' truckers wallet, and don't want to change wallets when I go for a ride.

Mine's a standard tri-fold. As for the chain, you can remove the "S" hook and use a keyring. I haven't done it to this one, but when I worked as a Com-Tech I did...damn chain would catch everything in the ceiling.

Mudpuppy
03-09-2010, 01:02 AM
What in the HELL are you talking about? You lost me.

no idea i didn't take my meds today

RoadZombie
03-09-2010, 09:03 PM
hs6Hk4vlrnQ

Mudpuppy
03-10-2010, 12:09 AM
^^ nice.. chapelle is a bad mfr..

RedneckMedic
03-10-2010, 12:36 AM
man i miss that show i used to have it on dvd but i lost it in panama on spring break

RoadZombie
03-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Favorite skit is still gangsta Wayne Brady. Almost pissed myself I was laughing so hard.

RoadZombie
03-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Actually went for a quick spin to the gas station to fill the tank (holy crap! Biggun!)...I think I left my ass there. Holy shit this thing pulls!

RoadZombie
03-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Anyone have a Carbtune? Hoping thats the last thing I need to do to get this thing acting right and really don't want to shell out that much for something I'm only going to use once.

RoadZombie
04-10-2010, 07:54 PM
After tearing up Oakland and Livingston...or maybe it was Washtenaw counties, I came home and decided to show the Ninja some love. I had finally gotten the cooling system completely "burped" so I fired it up. A little choke and she fired right up. It was originally acting kind of goofy, but then finally settled down. I figured "what the hell" and hopped on for a spirited ride...VERY spirited. ;-) By the time I got back to the house it seemed to be running fairly decent. Thinking maybe the SeaFoam finally broke up something nasty. ;-) After today's ride with Meinshaft and NinjaGirl, I just might get the ol' 750R "trip ready" ;-)

NinjaGirl
04-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Get the Ninja going!!!!