PDA

View Full Version : Finally....

telecast
02-06-2010, 10:37 AM
After putting it off for a long time I replaced my old computer. Building on the 'Made in the US' theme, I wanted to get a Dell. I looked at the back of my old Dell, and right there in big bold letters, proudly displayed, it says: "Made in China" :mad:

Ok, so, screw it. I bought a Compaq. It is also made in China. At least it's not a Japanese car.

I'm finally in the 21st century. The old one had a 2 gig processor, a 50 gig HD, and a whopping 1 gig of ram. But the big visible difference is the monitor. I upgraded from the 18.5" in the package to a 20", I figured since I keep these things for 9 or 10 years it was well worth it. Holy crap, the difference between a 20" flat screen and the old 17 CRT is amazing!

The old one won't get tossed. It still surfs ok and does word processing, etc., but I couldn't view videos at all, and it wouldn't let me install the new version of Flash. Last week Adobe Reader went belly up. We have tons of pics on it from when the kids were young and I just didn't trust the hard drive anymore, so off to Best Buy. I picked up a wireless card for the old one and it'll go in the music room for a backup.

This one came with 64 bit and 32 bit Explorer. I can't view any Flash content on the 64 bit, Adobe doesn't support it yet. How odd...

RoadZombie
02-06-2010, 01:32 PM
2 gig processor and 1 gig of RAM should have been plenty to watch videos. Thats pretty close to what my laptop specs out at and I have no trouble at all. I wouldn't be afraid to even edit video on this machine...although I'd more likely use my desktop (much more 'oomph!' and a 21" flat panel). Congrats on the new toy though!

telecast
02-06-2010, 02:47 PM
It wasn't the computer, there was so much crap on it it Flash just wouldn't load. I tried everything including getting it on disk. Nada.

Still it was old and we didn't trust it. Since the burner crapped out a couple of years ago...well, it was way past time.

Gas Man
02-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Bout time you dig up some of those ole coffee cans out back. Was it hard digging thru the frost?

Bob
02-06-2010, 03:30 PM
One of these days I'd like to build a new one and get rid of this desk top.

telecast
02-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Frost wasn't too bad, it was getting passed the zombie guards that sucked.

I was going to go laptop Bob, but the wife wanted to stay with a desktop.

Bob
02-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Frost wasn't too bad, it was getting passed the zombie guards that sucked.

I was going to go laptop Bob, but the wife wanted to stay with a desktop.

Yeah we have a laptop but I prefer a desktop for my everyday computing.

Gas Man
02-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Nah... laptop all the way. Probably will never buy another desktop ever. No reason.

Bob
02-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Nah... laptop all the way. Probably will never buy another desktop ever. No reason.

Yeah, a lot of people are getting like that. I just like desk tops because they are usually cheaper, easier to work on and upgrade, and I cane have a big ole screen without having to hook the laptop up to it. I use our laptop for when we travel but that's about it.

RedneckMedic
02-06-2010, 06:37 PM
i hook mine up to the hd tv in the living room and then it turns the little mac into my own personal movie theatre. gotta love movie torrents

Bob
02-06-2010, 07:13 PM
i hook mine up to the hd tv in the living room and then it turns the little mac into my own personal movie theatre. gotta love movie torrents

Gotta love MAC! If I was to ever buy another computer it'd be a Mac for sure. I want to build one and just run all open source stuff on it like I am with this one. Except this one is old and outdated and upgraded to it's max.

Mad Dog
02-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah, a lot of people are getting like that. I just like desk tops because they are usually cheaper, easier to work on and upgrade, and I cane have a big ole screen without having to hook the laptop up to it. I use our laptop for when we travel but that's about it.

Same here. Desktop all the way with a 22" widescreen display.
Dug up an old keyboard a Pirate gave me a few years ago. Sweeeet!
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/Valueteck/piratekeys.jpg