PDA

View Full Version : caught the fever

RedneckMedic
01-28-2010, 10:12 PM
got the new bars and pipes in the mail today and decided to go out and put them on (but holy fuck was it cold). The pipes are cobra drags that i picked up real cheap due to a few scratches and i still haven't decided weather or not i'm going to wrap them or not. The bars i ordered from road6customs and am waiting on the cables to come but that wont be for another 3 weeks or so.

Bob
01-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Nice man! Can't wait to see this bike in person.

I hear you on the cold. I went to the garage to clean up a little bit the other day and didn't even bother turning the heater on because it would of taken forever to heat.

Gas Man
01-28-2010, 10:28 PM
F yeah its cold. Don't have to tell me, I'm working nites this week... WOW!

Pipes... um... wrap em black, leave about 6" of chrome exposed on the end.

Bars... SICK!!

RedneckMedic
01-28-2010, 10:36 PM
wrap em black, leave about 6" of chrome exposed on the end.

thats exactly what i had planned

didn't even bother turning the heater on because it would of taken forever to heat.

dont have a heater just gotta bundle up

Gas Man
01-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Shit man... you could have did that shit at my place in the heat and on a lift!

RedneckMedic
01-28-2010, 11:22 PM
maybe ill hit you up in the spring when i put the new rear sprocket and chain on and need to do my jet kit.... cuz when it comes to the jet kit im lossed ive never touched a carb besides to adjust my air fuel screws and not having a lift makes changing the sprocket a little harder lol

Gas Man
01-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Do that. I've only done a few of those jap carb jet kits. Last one I did was on a Shadow Sabre. He took it in for the carb sync (which you'll also have to do) and guess what... I had it dead nuts! Perfect. Couldn't do it twice if I tried... LOL

Now the chain and sprockets... done TONS of those! EASY!

Mudpuppy
01-28-2010, 11:55 PM
definitely not an optimum day without proper heat..

Gas Man
01-29-2010, 12:29 AM
definitely not an optimum day without proper heat..
truth!

RoadZombie
01-30-2010, 01:49 AM
Kerosene jet heater for the win! Mine'll be getting plenty of use here soon.

...Guh. Carbs. Crossing my fingers that I'll be able to get away with just a can of Seafoam in my project. Two carbs were bad enough...now I'm dealing with four.

Gas Man
01-30-2010, 02:40 AM
F that 4 carb shit!

RoadZombie
01-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Fully agreed. Although, after I got rid of my last carbed bike I found my dad's old vacuum gauge set he had baught to sync the carbs on his CB750 chopper so it shouldn't be too bad.

As much as I'm not a fan of carbs after enjoying the ease of fuel injection on my Deuce...carbs are a lot cheaper/easier to tune! $300-400 for dyno time and tuning vs. a couple hours in the garage with a set of hand tools and maybe $100 for a jet kit.

Bob
01-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Fully agreed. Although, after I got rid of my last carbed bike I found my dad's old vacuum gauge set he had baught to sync the carbs on his CB750 chopper so it shouldn't be too bad.

As much as I'm not a fan of carbs after enjoying the ease of fuel injection on my Deuce...carbs are a lot cheaper/easier to tune! $300-400 for dyno time and tuning vs. a couple hours in the garage with a set of hand tools and maybe $100 for a jet kit.

Yeah, I keep swearing this is my last carbed bike but I like the old school bikes like the CB's, XS's and GS's. And a rejet on a bike is easy and dirt cheap. LOL But I only have one carb to mess with right now.

RoadZombie
01-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah, one carb is nothing. If my Virago only had one carb, I may still be riding it. I really wasn't too dead-set on the Harley being FIed for that very reason...only 1 carb. Although, being able to fire the bike up and just drive right off without having to let it warm up for 5 minutes/play with choke IS nice...especially when riding the Harley to work. I'm sure the neighbors appreciate it. ;-) Although, the Ninja I just picked up is going to be my "commuter bike" and has a full Yoshi exhaust so not sure how long the neighbors are going to love me. Haha!

Bob
01-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Yeah, one carb is nothing. If my Virago only had one carb, I may still be riding it. I really wasn't too dead-set on the Harley being FIed for that very reason...only 1 carb. Although, being able to fire the bike up and just drive right off without having to let it warm up for 5 minutes/play with choke IS nice...especially when riding the Harley to work. I'm sure the neighbors appreciate it. ;-) Although, the Ninja I just picked up is going to be my "commuter bike" and has a full Yoshi exhaust so not sure how long the neighbors are going to love me. Haha!

That's exactly why I want a FI bike. I hate letting mine warm up, especially in the early morning and is the reason I never ride to work. When I was in Daytona for Biketoberfest in 2008 we where eating in a restaurant one night and it was cold out, well for the locals it was cold. LOL And these bikers where leaving as we sat down. Their bikes had to run forever to warm up. One kept stalling every few seconds. LOL They where parked right outside the window and think we almost ate and left before they could drive off.

RoadZombie
01-30-2010, 01:15 PM
LoL Yeah, not looking forward to the warming up thing again. I will, however, be looking forward to not spending the entire day at work worrying if someone is "touching my baby". LoL I only work...maybe 10 miles at the most from my house, but I also drive an F150 4x4. It's amazing how much cheaper it is to ride than drive to work. Drive= $30-40 a week in gas. Ride=$5-10 a week in gas. Waiting a few minutes and possibly pissing off neighbors is worth it. ;-)

Bob
01-30-2010, 05:02 PM
LoL Yeah, not looking forward to the warming up thing again. I will, however, be looking forward to not spending the entire day at work worrying if someone is "touching my baby". LoL I only work...maybe 10 miles at the most from my house, but I also drive an F150 4x4. It's amazing how much cheaper it is to ride than drive to work. Drive= $30-40 a week in gas. Ride=$5-10 a week in gas. Waiting a few minutes and possibly pissing off neighbors is worth it. ;-)

True. I miss my old Ninja 250. 75 miles a gallon. I road for ever on a tank. LOL

Gas Man
01-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Once I had a HD FI bike in the garage... it was as if I just discovered sliced bread. I never want to go back for a daily cummuter bike. Its just so much nicer.

As far as tuning. Certainly either way you can still "tune" in your driveway. Carbs are a jet kit. FI is a new map with a laptop. Both can be done with reading your plugs. however, both can equally benifit from dyno time.

RoadZombie
01-30-2010, 08:16 PM
True...you can remap with a laptop if you have an SERT/PowerPak/PowerCommander/etc. The PO of my bike opted for the DirectLink Performance Tuner which is great since it remaps the actual ECM and doesn't "intercept and change" injector pulses like most aftermarket systems...but on the downside, requires a connecting harness that can only be acquired by a licenced mechanic/shop.

...it's not JUST a commuter bike, it's also my "toy" ;-)

RedneckMedic
02-03-2010, 05:01 PM
ok so i went driving around today and went to autozone, murrays (aka O'riellys), lowes, harbor frieght, and ACO, but couldnt find any damn heat wrap for my pipes. all murrays had was some piss color wrap and every where else had nuthin'.

although i did get some paint so i can black out some of the fake chrome that came on the bike which should make cleaner much easier this season.

RedneckMedic
02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
and that was after it took me and my buddy 3 hours to put his new exhaust on his CBR... fucking sport bikes have to many parts in the way.

RoadZombie
02-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Better off looking at Summit or Jegs catalogs for heatwrap...or their websites.

Gas Man
02-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Did you check with "The Shop". Its at Tele & West 734-671-3509

They carry all kinds of stuff like that.

RedneckMedic
02-11-2010, 09:14 PM
So i went to "the shop" no luck so i came home and ordered some from summit last night and when i got done working out tonight at about 8 it was already here. now thats what i call fast shipping. so when i get some free time i will wrap the exhaust and take some pics

Bob
02-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah I think O Reily's has the tan color wrap and that was it.

When I was into sport trucks I used to order all of my parts from Summit because they came next day.

If you can get extra hands for the wrap it makes it so much easier. For the clamps I just used some stainless steel clamps from Lowes.

Gas Man
02-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Bob is right.

For extra hands... you can tie it off to something.

Also, soaking the wrap in water helps.

RedneckMedic
02-17-2010, 06:45 PM
wraped the pipes today and i really like the out come was a real pain but i took my time. The black dye on the wrap got on everything it touched i'm glad i had a towel handy. also started the bike up for the first time with these pipes and holy hell they are loud even with the baffles in. wish i would have snapped some pics of when it was running the wrap started smoking like crazy and looked kinda cool.

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz2/lrpetric/DSC02059.jpg

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz2/lrpetric/DSC02061.jpg

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Nice! Looks sharp!

Bob
02-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Looking good! The wrap will smoke for a long time. I let my bike run for 30 minutes after wrapping it and it'll still smoke and smell if I go start it right now.

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Have me actually contemplating wrapping the Harley's pipes. Probably cheaper and easier than finding replacement heatsheilds. Plus, it looks sharp!

Bob
02-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Have me actually contemplating wrapping the Harley's pipes. Probably cheaper and easier than finding replacement heatsheilds. Plus, it looks sharp!

The heat wrap was actually more than I expected and I still feel a lot of heat when sitting idle but I like the way it looks for sure.

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 08:50 PM
I have V&H ShortShots on the Deuce. They use a heat sheilds that wrap a little less than 3/4 of the circumfrence of the pipe. Pretty much all the chrome on the pipes is just the heatsheild. I haven't found direct replacements for mine, but the ones for similar model bikes are $100+. The scratches on mine aren't noticeable unless you're looking for them...but *I* know they're there. LoL

Bob
02-17-2010, 08:54 PM
I have V&H ShortShots on the Deuce. They use a heat sheilds that wrap a little less than 3/4 of the circumfrence of the pipe. Pretty much all the chrome on the pipes is just the heatsheild. I haven't found direct replacements for mine, but the ones for similar model bikes are $100+. The scratches on mine aren't noticeable unless you're looking for them...but *I* know they're there. LoL

That's exactly what my Hard Kromes were too except they wrapped all the way around the pipe in most areas. I cut all of that off, sandblasted the inner tubes and then painted the pipes with high heat paint and wrapped them.

RedneckMedic
02-17-2010, 09:03 PM
my heat shields were the same way and i wrapped over then so there wasnt a difference in size on the pipe. i got the wrap ties and silicone sealer for about 60 bucks from summit.

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Mental note made. Gunna have to play w/ photoshop later. LoL

Bob
02-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Mental note made. Gunna have to play w/ photoshop later. LoL

Yep! That's what I did. LMAO

RedneckMedic
02-17-2010, 09:36 PM
ya thats one program i dont have on my computer is photo shop but ive seen some amazing things done with it

Bob
02-17-2010, 09:41 PM
ya thats one program i dont have on my computer is photo shop but ive seen some amazing things done with it

I actually use Gimp.

Gas Man
02-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Looks great Rugby!!

telecast
02-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Dude, is that you in your jammies I see reflected in the chrome?

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz2/lrpetric/DSC02061.jpg

RoadZombie
02-28-2010, 08:39 PM
LoL Coulda been worse...

telecast
02-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah, good thing he wasn't standing by the breather!

RedneckMedic
02-28-2010, 11:22 PM
yes they are my jammies i needed something to throw on over the shorts i was wearing after i got done working out. it took me a second to figure out what was in the reflection when i first looked at the picture but ya its my pj's and the recycling bin.

RedneckMedic
03-03-2010, 06:29 PM
well wont have to worry about seeing my reflection in the fake chrome anymore. blacked out the aircleaner, side covers, and headlight bucket today. next up is the chain guard, and struts and then reassemble and see if i need more paint.

RedneckMedic
03-04-2010, 12:12 AM
heres some pics of what i did today

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz2/lrpetric/DSC02097.jpg
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz2/lrpetric/DSC02098.jpg
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz2/lrpetric/DSC02101.jpg

ill post pics of the headlight bucket after i get the wiring done and get it all back on the bike.

telecast
03-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Looks good!

telecast
03-04-2010, 07:35 AM
BTW, the chrome was fine, just make sure you never take any pictures while you're naked....

Gas Man
03-04-2010, 07:59 AM
BTW, the chrome was fine, just make sure you never take any pictures while you're naked....
WHAT? WHY NOT!?

Looks good.

RoadZombie
03-04-2010, 04:23 PM

LoL That's what I meant by "worse". Haha! I remember seeing a pic on the internet a few years back of a polished tea kettle someone was selling on eBay. The photographer was naked...and it was a fat dude. Not pretty.

Looking good Rug. The nice weather the last few days seems to have everyone psyched.