PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen the new show "American Pickers", and do you watch Pawn Stars?

telecast
01-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Watched a couple of Pawn Stars reruns last night. In one, this guy brings in an old Indian Mini (Think Honda 50 Minitrail). They had it authenticated and bought it for like $1200, even though it was trashed. They took it to their restoration expert and he redid the whole thing, including a rebuilt engine because the old one was shot. It ended up costing them around $6k, but the estimated value was still around $7-7500. The restoration guy said there are probably only about 20 left in the US. It was made during Indian's second go round.

American Pickers is kind of fun. These two guys go out and search through people's crap. They look for yards full of old rusty junk, buildings with hubcaps on them, etc. They crawl through outbuildings loaded with everything imaginable, layer on top of layer. They buy everything from old kitchen utensils to carnival rides. One interesting find was a pedal crank and sprocket from a Harley Davidson bicycle.

The second cool find was an old Vespa Ape (pronounced Ahpay). This was one of GasMan's favorite types of transportation, a scooter trike. The thing had a rear seat for two people with a convertible roof. Imagine a rickshaw with the front half a Vespa tacked on. Supposedly these are the rarest version out there of any Vespa. Most of them had metal boxes on the back and were made for utility service. This one had a wooden passenger compartment that looked like an old Woody station wagon. When raised, the roof covered the driver and connected to a windshield on the handlebars that folded down when not in use. The guy gave $5k for it, frozen engine, rusty, dented. When the appraiser looked at it he said the wooden rear seat version was the rarest of all, and this was most likely the only one in North America. He said one of two things will happen to it. Either it will get rolled into a museum as-is, or someone will buy it and do a resotration. Either way, $10k as it sets.

Just about every single place they hit had old Motorcycles laying around. One guy had a whole pile of Minitrails he refused to part with.

I gotta' do me some garbage pickin'!

Here's a pic I found of the same type Vespa

http://www.vespaape.com/img/va_logo.jpg

Alicat
01-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Good show that Pickers, but their Vespa would surely take mucho of hours of work to look 1/2 that good!

Mudpuppy
01-26-2010, 03:05 PM
I have watched Pawn Stars and its pretty entertaining..

As far as picking there is a whole group of people dedicated to this - Freegans.. some are doctors, lawyers, etc. They were on Oprah a while back..

http://freegan.info/?page=home

Chris300s
01-26-2010, 06:22 PM
I gotta' do me some garbage pickin'!

I was thinkin the same thing last night! That stunning Indian, the rotting XS's and CB behing the barn. Cruiser, chopper, bobber, tracker....
I can watch these shows all day! I'm really jealous of the Pickers though. Did you notice the 66(?) VW Single Cab next to their shop? That'd be worth a pretty penny restored, not to mention a cool rescue truck.

Chris

seatmaker
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Yep watched 2 shows already. I'm hooked

Bob
01-26-2010, 07:49 PM
I watch Pawn Stars sometimes. I just hate the phonyness of it all. Like when that toilet chair fell out of the bed of the truck or the hot air balloon took off without the one guy. I could do without that junk but I like watching some of the people that come in and think they have garbage but have something worth a lot or think they have something worth a ton but it's junk. Sometimes I think most of what they have redone is made up too. Like they have cars and bikes repainted but don't find out the cost until it's all done? I think that part is b.s.. It's fun to watch though, that's all that matters.

zamochit
01-26-2010, 08:37 PM
I watch both of them. Although American Pickers has only had 2 shows its one of my favs to watch.

Mudpuppy
01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
The best part of Pawn Stars IMO (for its pure stupidity of people) is say a guy has an item and has no idea what it is worth. They call in an "expert" who says um its worth $2,500. Thanks John blah blah I will give you a reach around at the bath house later take it e-z. So the expert leaves and the guy says so what do you want for it? Well $2,500 that's what its worth. What fucking asshats - duh! Its a business not a fucking charity. If it is worth $2,500 the pawn shop might get $2,000 and you typically get $0.20 on the dollar. So take your $500 and go fuck yourself. That's how the dirty dirty pawn industry works. Same as another industry with same beginning letter. I would smack the fuck out of those people and throw them out of my store.

Mudpuppy
01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
and has anyone seen the show Pit Boss? That show is pretty amusing.. Midgets and pit bulls? Where the fuck do they come up with this stuff?

telecast
01-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Where the fuck do they come up with this stuff?

As long as there are idiots to watch it, they'll keep coming up with idiotic shit.

Bob
01-27-2010, 06:31 PM
and has anyone seen the show Pit Boss? That show is pretty amusing.. Midgets and pit bulls? Where the fuck do they come up with this stuff?

I'm sick of "little people" shows. I tried watching that show and it was just some midget thinking he was bad ass. What was he in prison for? He had to be someones bitch in the clinky.

Mudpuppy
01-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Have you seen Steven Segal Lawman? What a dumb show that is.. Its not "Reality TV" it's Actuality or some bs.. its pretty stupid if you ask me..

telecast
01-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Have you seen Steven Segal Lawman? What a dumb show that is.. Its not "Reality TV" it's Actuality or some bs.. its pretty stupid if you ask me..

No, for the same reasons you stated!

Thruxtonbill
01-28-2010, 12:36 PM
. They were on Oprah a while back..

http://freegan.info/?page=home
:D Ha Ha you watch Oprah.:rolleyes:

telecast
01-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Okra Whalefree

Mudpuppy
01-28-2010, 04:40 PM

Negative - a coworker watches Oprah and she told me about it fuckface..

Bob
01-28-2010, 09:35 PM

Busted!

You know what show it horrible but hilarious. Whale Wars. The hilarious part is this show is supposed to be about these hippies saving wales but they just end up looking like 100% complete jack asses in every single episode.

Gas Man
01-28-2010, 10:15 PM
The biggest problem with whale wars is that the people running it are pussies! They need to get some ex-navy guys in there to show them how to ruff house in a boat. That fat bastard capt can't fuckin drive a boat any better than I could and I've only operated a small boat a few times.

Bob
01-28-2010, 10:37 PM
The biggest problem with whale wars is that the people running it are pussies! They need to get some ex-navy guys in there to show them how to ruff house in a boat. That fat bastard capt can't fuckin drive a boat any better than I could and I've only operated a small boat a few times.

Did you see them wreck that weird looking boat not that long ago?

Thruxtonbill
01-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Negative - a coworker watches Oprah and she told me about it fuckface..

Uh ok.

Gas Man
01-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Did you see them wreck that weird looking boat not that long ago?
IDK... I've only watched a few times. I did see them hit a boat before...

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/mopp_0612_26_zpainting_your_carpaint_gun_zpsc3d8c3 26.jpg

Mudpuppy
01-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Busted!

You know what show it horrible but hilarious. Whale Wars. The hilarious part is this show is supposed to be about these hippies saving wales but they just end up looking like 100% complete jack asses in every single episode.

no way i can't stand oprah..