PDA

View Full Version : Deltran Battery Tender

Gas Man
01-13-2010, 02:56 AM
A slightly old post from the old site...

Its a well known fact around here that our bikes LOVE having a nicely charged battery when it comes time to bring them to life. The HANDS DOWN BEST WAY to make sure this is done is to leave your bike on a Battery Tender (http://batterytender.com/).

Well I have owned a Deltran Battery Tender Jr (http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=4)for about 7 years. It has lasted me thru 3 bikes and over 40,000 miles on those bikes. I've had one bike that would hate life without it and the chopper that doesn't seem to need it much as long as it gets some miles in between starts (thank you to the 42 amp charging system).

However, one day I noticed it was plugged into the outlet and the bike. But there was a problem, the little light wasn't on.

Burnt out? Blown a breaker? Broken wires?

I did some checking. Plugged the second bikes' tender into my bike and it came on, no problems. Not broken wires. Maybe its on and the light is just out? Pull out my trusty Fluke multimeter... nope... no power out put.

Hmm...

$25 - $30 for a new one regardless of where you get it. Ebay, dealer, swap meet...

I sent a email to Deltran concerning my problem via their website. (http://batterytender.com/contact_us.php) Told them I've had it for years and loved it until it quit. They promply replied that if it was a standard size Battery Tender Plus (http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=2)to send it to them with all the wires, a explanation of what's going on, and a check for $7.95 to cover S&H and they would either fix it or replace it. Sense mine was a Battery Tender Jr (http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=4)to send them $9.95, the wires, and the same letter. They will just replace it.

Sure enough 3 weeks later a brand new Battery Tender Jr (http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=4)arrives at my house via Fed Ex.

NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

Mudpuppy
01-13-2010, 10:09 AM
I just bring my battery into the house..

Rider
01-13-2010, 10:13 AM
I have my boat battery on a battery tender right now.

Bagger Dave
01-13-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm using the Battery Tender Plus....

jerrygsx
01-13-2010, 05:25 PM
I also have the Deltran Battery Plus. Good to know they will replace it if it breaks. I plug my battery in the tender (Stored indoors) once a week, charges pretty quickly.

Gas Man
01-13-2010, 11:29 PM
I go by the new standard.

If I'm not on the bike, the tender is.

LouChristie
02-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Yes I will second that Deltran is and they are great people to deal with hands down. Just a quick one on charging...
Motor cycles have..Stater and Regulators, they will not bring a low Battery back to peak. have to use a Battery tender, trickle charge more often in the winter, spring where dependent on the weather the bike may sit for a while at a time.
Motor Cycles do not have alternators ( which Recharge Batteries ) like cars do, they have Stators. the Stators simply replenishes power as the motorcycle uses it a little at a time. If put under "Heavy Load" as in trying to revive a very low battery they can burn out. They usualy also end up taking out the ( Regulator- Rectifier ) as well. Hopes this helps.

RoadZombie
02-07-2010, 01:02 PM
I just bring my battery into the house..

I do too...but it's still on the Tender. On a charger or not, cold is a battery's worst enemy.

Gas Man
02-07-2010, 11:56 PM
I do too...but it's still on the Tender. On a charger or not, cold is a battery's worst enemy.
Actually, the summer heat is just as bad if not worse on a battery. The cold is hard on the motor. Which is hard on the starter which draws more juice from.... guess what..... the battery. But the cold really isn't hard on the battery itself.

Mudpuppy
02-08-2010, 09:37 AM
i disagree.. cold, like the 10 degrees this morning, destroys the battery.. i have done both - leave it in the cold and bring it in the house.. both without even trying to start the bike.. guess what? when i left it in the cold without trying to start the bike the battery was deep celled and no longer any good.. when i bring it in the house i don't even charge it and its fine.. i can dig up some scientific jargon, dumb it down to a 1st grade level and then explain it to you if you want but you are wrong, wrong and wrong.. cold + battery = bad..

RoadZombie
02-08-2010, 03:06 PM
As a journeyman electronics technician, I have to side with Mud on this one. That's why our generators here at work have battery heater pads that kick on at 40 deg F...even with float chargers installed. Although, heat is equally detrimental to a battery.

Mudpuppy
02-08-2010, 04:07 PM
As a journeyman electronics technician, I have to side with Mud on this one. That's why our generators here at work have battery heater pads that kick on at 40 deg F...even with float chargers installed. Although, heat is equally detrimental to a battery.

Ok well you know way more than me then.. But from what I know it would be extreme heat like sitting in 90 degree sun.. That is why they say don't leave your cell phone or other electronics in the car right? The cold or the high heat will destroy them..

But I have lost several batteries to the winter cold but never have I lost a battery to the summer heat..

I would have to assume it is due to the fact that in winter the garage gets almost as cold as outside and in the summer its not the case.. it may be 90 outside but the garage is shaded and stays cooler plus the sun isn't beating on the bike.. and i don't ride in winter but i would assume if the bike is running the cold doesn't really affect the battery because its being charged - like a trickle charger.. and same in the hot sun when i am riding - i am riding so its being charged so it wouldn't affect the battery from the heat?

Gas Man
02-08-2010, 09:48 PM
But what about newer AGM batts?

RoadZombie
02-08-2010, 10:01 PM
It's still a lead acid battery, so the same does apply. I believe they are a bit more "hearty". Check this page out: http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm. Lots of good info!

telecast
02-09-2010, 08:44 AM
That's good info, thanks for the link!

It's pretty well known that heat is the enemy of anything electric or electronic. More heat = shorter life span. It doesn't matter if your talking about an electric motor or the voice coil winding in a speaker, too much heat is death.

But we also know that cold temps will take a weak battery out pretty quickly, and the lower the charge, the more likely it is to freeze.

I take my battery out and put it in the basement on the lower shelf of the workbench. It gets charged before storage, and it'll get checked here in the next week or so, then checked/charged again before it goes back in the bike.

Battery tenders are great if you just want to set it and forget it, but if your battery is good and stored inside they can add up to a waste of electricity.

Mudpuppy
02-09-2010, 11:15 AM
good info for sure..