PDA

View Full Version : How cold is too cold?

09-10-2008, 05:29 PM
So how late in the year do you folks all ride?

Me, I ride all year pretty much. I'll keep going to temps in the mid thirties, and no snow/dry roads. Obviously I'm more cautious what with the whopping ass pot holes, and mounds of salt on the road, and I ride slower overall as well. But I don't ever really out my bike "away for the winter".* ;D

How about you?

vortech302
09-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Same thing, I rode all winter this past year.* Anything above 30 basically.* This winter I'm thinking about painting the bike so it might be apart

Gas Man
09-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Start getting to the 50's and I start looking at my chaps.* Under 50 and I'm looking at facial coverage or my modular nolan.* I don't ride under 40 and only ride in the 40's when the sun is out.*

But when the salt flies the bike goes away and won't come back out till there is a good rain to rinse down the roads, usually meaning spring.*

When you got as much money in it as I do, hell just in chrome, you don't take it out on salty roads.* I don't care if it was 70 in January... the roads are salty... the chop don't come out.

Berto
09-10-2008, 09:54 PM
I would say as long as I am comfortable.

Lately I've been a puss... but in the past, 35* was my limit.

detdrbuzzard
09-11-2008, 07:29 AM
my riding gear is good down to about 40 but for medical reasons i don't do cold weather, also my bikes are not kept at my house so it is inconveniant

Bob
09-11-2008, 08:39 AM
I did 37 once and froze my butt off.* It was just one of those days that started cold and warmed up later.* I figured I was just going 2 miles down the road to help my buddy move.* UGH!* I was freezing by the time I got there!

This year I bought some Under Armor type stuff to wear under my clothes and I'll be putting the liner my jacket which I've never done.* I'm going to try and ride longer this year.

Rustic
09-11-2008, 11:34 AM
I rode up to mid Dec. last year and got the bike back out in early March.* Its not the cold the a problem its the salt.* don't want to wash the bike after every ride.* Salt eats at your your bike chrome and all.

scotto49327
09-11-2008, 04:10 PM
I"ll ride as long as the roads are salt free, like most, once the salt comes out the bike goes in till spring

Gas Man
09-11-2008, 11:30 PM
yeah I've been out at 30 degrees... but don't like it.* Usually grabbin the motor at the lights...