PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Linux?

Bob
12-26-2009, 08:56 PM
We upgraded to Windows 7 and it's really nice on the Laptop that was running Vista but sucks really bad running on this machine that was running XP. I'm thinking of running a Linux based OS and was just curious if anyone is running it?

Mudpuppy
12-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Luckily I got a new laptop from work and it had XP even though Vista was out for awhile when I got it.. Also purchased a Netbook later and it also had XP which was good.. Haven't tried Vista or Windows 7.. Heard nothing but bad things about Vista.. I am about to get a new Netbook and wondering what OS it will have.. I tried Linux a long time ago and it seemed very basic but was good because it didn't lock up and was very fast due to the simplicity of it.. I am sure it has come leaps and bounds since then.. Is it still free or do you have to pay for it?

Gas Man
12-26-2009, 11:41 PM
I actually prefer vista over xp.

Bob
12-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Luckily I got a new laptop from work and it had XP even though Vista was out for awhile when I got it.. Also purchased a Netbook later and it also had XP which was good.. Haven't tried Vista or Windows 7.. Heard nothing but bad things about Vista.. I am about to get a new Netbook and wondering what OS it will have.. I tried Linux a long time ago and it seemed very basic but was good because it didn't lock up and was very fast due to the simplicity of it.. I am sure it has come leaps and bounds since then.. Is it still free or do you have to pay for it?

Ubuntu is free. And something I did not know, most of the programs I use are already Linuxed based like Open Office and firefox.

Mudpuppy
01-01-2010, 10:30 PM
so are you going to make the switch?

Bob
01-02-2010, 08:44 AM
so are you going to make the switch?

I'm like 99% sure I will. My buddy is coming over, hopefully next week, to show me Ubuntu and go over a bunch of stuff with me to make sure I want it. He runs it and actually this site is on his server that's running it.

Bob
01-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Oh, and something else I never knew. I run OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office, Gimp, and Firefox and those are all Linux based. I also found a bunch of open source for video editing and music/audio I can use so that will be sweet. My goal is to be all open source and not have to pay for anything except the machine. Which I'm thinking of building a little better PC on the cheap.

Mudpuppy
01-06-2010, 01:35 PM
let me know how it works out.. i am interested in doing the same thing..

Bob
01-06-2010, 08:19 PM
let me know how it works out.. i am interested in doing the same thing..

Brad brought the live disc over 2 days ago. I really liked it! He's going to install it for me Saturday. I figure, what the heck, if I hate it, it was free and I'll just go back to Windows. But I think I'm really going to like it.

RedneckMedic
01-07-2010, 12:23 AM
ive got my mac and will never go back this thing is amazing

Gas Man
01-07-2010, 01:26 AM
ive got my mac and will never go back this thing is amazing
Yeah and so is the price!

Mudpuppy
01-07-2010, 11:03 AM
get what you pay for

Mudpuppy
01-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Brad brought the live disc over 2 days ago. I really liked it! He's going to install it for me Saturday. I figure, what the heck, if I hate it, it was free and I'll just go back to Windows. But I think I'm really going to like it.

Yeah really what do you have to lose?

Bob
01-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Yeah and so is the price!

Actually I used to think that until I really compared. You sort of have to compare the Mac's to an all in one PC since that is what most of them are, minus the mini and Pro I think. I love the Mac OS myself. I think it blows Windows away. If Ubuntu does not work out I'll start saving for a mini I think since I already have a monitor and everything.

Bob
01-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Yeah really what do you have to lose?

That's what I figure. If anyone wants to try it you can just download a live disc and boot it from the disc drive. It doesn't mess with your current Os or anything. It does take a little getting used to but there are TONS of adjustments to it so you can really have it look and feel anyway you want. I guess it's easy to make it look just like Windows or Mac if that is what you are used to. Tons of free open source programs available for it to. You just go to the programs and select the category, like business, office, games and so on and you'll have a whole bunch to choose from to download. I'm looking forward to getting it installed Saturday. Hopefully Saturday night I have time to really fool with it.

Bob
01-09-2010, 03:39 PM
So far so good, knock on wood. We had some trouble with some of the special personal features and my video card running flash so we turned it off and Flash works now. I've only had a few minutes to really poke around but I'm liking it so far. No crash yet.